Welcome! This is where we live:
Yes I know, it is a very cute little blue house, and doesn't look much like a cave, but here are the reasons it qualifies as a cave: We actually rent the basement apartment of this house, the ceilings are about 6'5" through most of the house and 5'10" in the kitchen, it's cold and damp most of the time, and the walls sweat (I'm serious about this), Here is our entrance:
Side note to this picture. Notice the purple watering can in the bottom right-hand corner. My mother-in-law gave it to me! So wonderful! She also gave us flowers to plant in our yard! Here is a picture of one of the flowers.
What's it like living in a basement apartment of a cute little old house? Well for starters it's not ideal, but we're beginning to love it all the same. One thing we do like is that we do have a yard, and there is a little bit of garden space! When we moved in last fall, the previous owners had planted some tomatoes (Ben was pretty excited about this and we need to buy more to plant for him), and some strawberries!
Also we have a beautiful apricot tree! Talk about popcorn popping :) Oh, and note the white picket fence that surrounds the yard as well.
Living in this little apartment is teaching me a lot. At a recent General Conference President Monson said, "I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not." By this I'm not saying that it's bad to have nice things (Ben and I actually were at Home Depot just a couple of days ago and walked around the kitchen section dreaming and planning out our future home), however, I'm just realizing that nice things, are still just things. It is also helping me learn how to adjust to different circumstances.
Well I hope you enjoyed looking at our little apartment! There are more pictures here and I will be uploading a couple pictures of the inside once they are straightened up :)
I think it is standard rite of passage to have your first apartment be a little dumpy and old. In our first kitchen the water heater, oven, and sink all touched corners. It was pretty tiny and exciting.
ReplyDelete